Understand Fasting-Fasting Defined: Fasting is defined as the avoidance of consuming food, fluids or both for some time.
Some reasons for fasting:
- Religious or Spiritual: Many religions practice fasting as part of their worship.
- Diet: Some diets have an element of fasting
- Intermittent fasting: Intermittent fasting is a popular adjunct to the Keto diet where you fast for a set time daily.
- Pre Operative: when going for a surgical procedure that requires anesthesia you will be asked to fast from the night before (not to drink or eat the night before surgery) so to avoid a severe complication called aspiration.
- Blood Test: Many blood tests require a period of fasting for accurate results
- Blood glucose test
- Cholesterol test
- Triglyceride level test
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) level test
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) level test
- Basic metabolic panel
- Comprehensive Metabolic panel
- Kidney function panel
- Liver function test
- Colonoscopy: You can not eat for some time before a colonoscopy to ensure the bowl is free of stool.